1. When was the Norfolk fire department started?
- The Norfolk Volunteer Fire Department was created at a town meeting that met on Friday June 20,1902 at 7:30pm
2. When did the fire department obtain its incorporation status?
- The Norfolk Volunteer Fire Department was incoporated on January 16, 1907
3. Are my donations to the Norfolk Fire Department tax deductable?
- Yes, The Norfolk Volunteer Fire Department is a 501C3 Non-Profit Organization
4. When does the fire department have its meetings?
- Regular Monthly Meetings are held on the first monday of each month at 7:00pm
5. When does the fire department have its drills/practices?
- The fire department has drills on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th mondays of the month starting at 6:30pm
6. I don't like heights or the idea of going into burning buildings, is there anything else I can do to help the department?
- Of course, Our Active B and General membership categories allow members to assist with other duties on a fire scene or at the station. Ie. Driver/Pump Operator, Exterior firefighter, Fire Police, Administrative functions, and Refreshment Service to name a few.
7. Does the Fire Department have a tax incentive program?
- Yes, Members of the emergency services recieve up to $1000 based on participation within the department. Read the Ordinance here for more info.
8. Why is Norfolk Called "The Ice Box" of Connecticut?
- Norfolk gained reputation as the states "Ice Box" in 1943, when the coldest-ever reading in Connecticut came in at 37 degrees below zero on February 16th.
9. What projects are the Fire Department currently involved with?
10. How can I order a Blue 911 House Number sign?
11. What is a KnoxBox and why should I get one?
- Knoxboxes are small steel vaults containing a key to your house that get mounted on your house. If your alarm activates and you are unavailable to respond, The Norfolk Fire Department has a key to open your knoxbox secured in the apparatus allowing a search of your house to determine the reason for activation. Having the Fire Department preform a complete search of your house allows small problems to be identifyed before thay become big ones. Click here for more info.
12. Where can I get an Application for the Road Race Scholarship?
- On our "Road Race Info" link to the left or at the bottom of this page. Note: All scholarship applications must be submitted by May 15th!
13. In regards to my homeowners insurance rates, what is the ISO (Insurance Services Office) Rating for the Norfolk Volunteer Fire Department?
- The ISO Rating for the Town of Norfolk and the NVFD was updated on May 26, 2015 and is currently a 5/5Y rating. See ISO Document attachment below.